The mission of CISMBC is to keep children in school so that they can learn, grow and prepare for college, for a career, and for life. For over 30 years, Communities In Schools has worked to ensure that every child needs and deserves these “Five Basics”:
- A one-on-one caring relationship with an adult
- A safe place to learn and grow
- A healthy start and a healthy future
- A marketable skill to use upon graduation
- A chance to give back to peers and community
CIS Unique Model
- CIS Affiliates: hire and train site coordinators and provides needed resources in school
- Site Coordinators: collaborate with teachers, students, tutors, and volunteers to determine needs of everyone, and figure out plan to provide the appropriate resources and plan of action
- Collaborative Partners: Schools, business, and community agencies all join forces with site coordinator to deliver supports to students and families.
- Needs Assessment: investigate various sources of data to identify the chief needs of the school and individual students
- Planning: A plan is formed to designate specific support systems that address academic and non-academic needs.
- Integrated Student Supports: Site coordinator and partners distribute tiers of support to the school, students, and their families.
- Monitoring & Adjustment: In order to produce the best results, site coordinators regularly check up on students and school progress & make small changes to supporting services.
- Evaluation: continuous assessment of partners and student supports by CIS affiliates to show off results and make improvements in practice
- Proven Success: increase graduation, lower dropout rate, & improve attendance for schools in need.